Veterinary Technology (Online), A.A.S.
This is a unique Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology Online program accredited by the AVMA. It is offered in an accelerated online delivery format, combined with 360 hours of on-site clinical experiences. The program meets the needs of individuals who are not able through necessity of employment or other personal circumstances to attend a traditional, classroom-based academic program. The Veterinary Technology Online program parallels other AVMA accredited degree programs and its curriculum includes the subject content and the didactic and psychomotor essential tasks enumerated by the AVMA Committee of Veterinary Technician Educational Activities (CVTEA).
Those individuals within six months of graduation will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National (licensing) Exam (VTNE), nationally recognized by many states for licensure. Students from outside New York State should check with their local Board of Education regarding licensure eligibility Students completing the AAS in Veterinary Technology Online will receive the terminal degree required for licensure in New York State as a Veterinary Technician.
The AAS in Veterinary Technology Online program provides instruction and clinical experiences needed to perform effectively as a veterinary technician. The AAS in Veterinary Technology Online curriculum provides the necessary credentials to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and satisfies the New York State Education requirements for professional licensure as a veterinary technician.
The goals of the program include:
- To provide a relevant and innovative education that prepares individuals for professional careers in Veterinary Medicine and lifelong learning.
- To develop in all students the interpersonal skills necessary for effective participation in teams and groups.
- To enhance the analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making skills of each individual student.
- To develop and cultivate a sense of purpose, responsibility, and ethical behavior among individuals.
- To enhance the student’s written, spoken, and technological skills.
- To obtain knowledge and develop proficiency in clinical and practical veterinary medicine in order to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and satisfy New York State Education requirements for professional licensure as a veterinary technician
Credit Distribution and Course Sequence (Online)
|or CIS 160|
|BIO 172||full session||4|
|CIS 160||session 1||4|
|GEN 131||session 2||4|
|MAT 117||full session||4|
|VET 260||full session||1|
|VET 101||session 1||3|
|SPE 242||session 2||4|
|VET 207||full session||4|
|ENG 111||session 1||4|
|VET 180||session 2||4|
|VET 261||full session||2|
|VET 221||full session||4|
|VET 203||session 1||3|
|VET 209||session 2||3|
|VET 262||full session||1|
|VET 227||full session||4|
|VET 223||session 1||3|
|VET 225||session 2||4|
|VET 263||full session||2|
|VET 270||full session||3|
|VET 239||session 1||3|
|VET 243||session 2||4|